Welcome to the Office of Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services provides reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis and according to specific documentation needs.

Location and Contact Information

Isabelle Vecchio, Coordinator
D’Youville College
320 Porter Ave., KAB 408
Buffalo, NY 14201

Phone: 716-829-7728
Fax: 716-829-7790

Disability Services


Who is eligible for Services?

Legal Definition of a Disability

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is defined as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act states that
No otherwise qualified person in the United... shall, solely by reason of...disability, be denied the benefits of be excluded from participation in, or be subjected to the discrimination under any program or activity that either receives federal financial assistance.

A person with a disability is:
"any person who (I) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, (2) has a history of such an impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment."

Prospective Students

D’ Youville College does not discriminate against students with disabilities. Students with disabilities do not need to disclose their disability on any admission documents. to have access to academic programs and services

Admissions Standards for Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities must meet the same admission standards as students without disabilities. SAT scores taken under special conditions are not identified to the admissions office.

Where to Send Documentation

To ensure that accommodations are provided at the time the student attends college, students are encouraged to inform the Disability Services for Students office as soon as possible after admission. Documentation of a disability should not be sent to the admissions office. All documentation should be submitted to the Office for Disability Services after notification of admission to the college. Documentation should be sent to:

Office of Disability Services
D’Youville College
320 Porter Ave. KAB 411
Buffalo, NY 14201

Documentation of a Disability

Documentation of a Disability: Documentation of a disability which enables a student to receive accommodations for academic programs and services must include the following information.

Individual Education Plans which are used in Elementary and High School are not appropriate forms of documentation at the college level. Assessments by a licensed school psychologist along with a transition plan are possible appropriate forms of documentation. It is important for students to contact the disability services office as soon as possible after admittance, so that proper documentation can be submitted, prior to the start of classes.


It is important to meet with the Coordinator of Disability Services each semester to determine of your accommodations are appropriate for the current semester. Accommodations may include—but are not limited to—the following examples:

Academic Accommodations

In order to be eligible for testing accommodations, you must have documentation of a disability on file with the Disability Services Office, and you also must have submitted a yellow testing accommodations form to your instructor for his/her signature, and returned the form to the Disability Services Office.

Alternate Format Textbooks

If your documentation includes the indicates that you are eligible to obtain textbooks in alternate format, and you would like to obtain textbooks in alternate format, the following guidelines must be followed:

Note taking
Non-Academic Accommodations

Again, these are only examples of typical accommodations. As with academic accommodations, non-academic accommodations are determined by the recommendations included in your documentation.

Campus Living
Student Activities

Contact the Student Activities Office, or the Office of Disability Services, if you have any questions about accommodations and accessibility for any campus activities or events.



Frequently Asked Questions

If I know or suspect I have a disability, how do I receive services?
Contact the Coordinator of Disability Services who will meet with you and tell you what kind of documentation you need to provide.
If I suspect I have a disability, what do I do?
Contact the Coordinator of Disability Services. The Coordinator will meet with you and provide you with referrals for appropriate evaluation. The evaluator to whom you are referred will determine if you have a disability.
What types of services are available for students with disabilities?
Services are determined individually based on the recommendations provided in your documentation.
Regarding my disability, what will I need to do differently in college?
In high school, it was your parents and your school officials’ responsibility to determine your needs and to make sure you received the proper services and accommodations. In college, it becomes YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to seek out services since no one will approach you about your disability. It is up to you to contact the Coordinator of Disability Services and not simply inform your instructors of your disability. Steps to take:
1. Self-identify by informing the Coordinator of Disability Services.
2. Provide appropriate documentation as determined by the Coordinator of Disability Services.
3. Be proactive, self-advocate. Inform the Coordinator of Disability Services and your instructors if there is a problem with your accommodations.
How confidential is the information regarding my disability?
Information regarding your disability is kept in a locked file in the Office of Coordinator of Disability Services. No one sees this information except the Coordinator of Disability Services. In order for anyone else to see this information, you must sign a “Release of Information” form.